Wednesday, December 3, 2008

The Communes



Six years ago I was torn between two books. One was a book on writing, which I found an engrossing connection. The other was a textbook I needed for my college subject. Badly in need of passing for internship, I bought the textbook. After several months, I passed. Still, the book on writing was a very unwilling sacrifice because I didn't found any copy in any shelves of all the bookstores I had visited. Until a month ago.

This book on writing by Elizabeth Ayres, entitled "Writing the Waves" has led me to understand again the original meaning of communication in Latin: com- means "with" and -un means "one". For the author, the word communication is "to be one with." Her meaning led me to conceive the name of this endeavor.

There could be a lot of names possible: study group, support group, fellowship, gatherings, meetings, workshops, association, brotherhood, cell groups, etc. But there is something in the word Commune that resonates in every one's being. After learning so much from many ancient and modern spiritual teachers, it is only one truth that echoes from them: We are all ONE. But we are not aware that we are.

And the decision to name this undertaking as Commune is an intuitive unfolding. I was in one of my most peaceful state when the word came up from me, as if a seed sprouted from earth. We need to begin to be one with each other, for we are all ONE.

But most of us still harbor the illusion that we are separate by time and space. And this very skewed view is what causes all the problems in the world; all the problems in our lives. This illusion had almost led me to mental ill. And I believe that we all have, one way or the other, the problem of this illusion.

Understanding this need is the beginning to find the path. This is a very profound insight for all spiritual teachers. They found a way how to be one with this truth. Being One with is to be awakened to our true nature: Love.

Communes may not be a quantum leap, yet it is one step. Lao Tzu once said, "A journey of a thousand miles begins with one step." One step. This is all what we need to do. Since Love can never be contained in one's heart and mind, Communes will serve as the confluence from which the the Love within all of us will flow. All we have to do is to begin.

Let us all be one with Love.





0 comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails